Thursday, March 25, 2010

Snow Days

So, yesterday I got to experience one of the perks of living in Colorado, a snow day! I must say that I enjoy warmer weather much more, but my thought is, if it's going to be cold it might as well snow and give me a day off of work! The only sad part was that my hubby had to go into work. :( It's funny how the day seems to fly by though. I wake up thinking I am going to get so much done and then I look at the clock and it's already 4:00! I did, however, get some much needed tasks accomplished. I spent the first part of my day by writing my world view paper for my final, which will allow me to actually have some what of a weekend! I don't know about you, but I love learning about all the different worldviews that are out there in our culture. It is interesting, to say the least, to see what some people actually believe. I find it crazy to think that people can put their hope and faith in things that don't make sense to me, but they would say that believing in God is ridiculous. I'm sure they would probably say the same thing about me though.

Well, after I finished writing the bulk of my paper I decided to something much more enjoyable, cooking! I started by making two loaves of home-made bread! I truly love the process of making bread. My sister, Stacey, and I share a Wonder Mill and have been grinding our own flour, and let me tell you, it makes the most delicious bread! Also, the bread is super healthy because you don't loose any of the nutrients! For example, I grind hard white wheat, millet, and either quinoa or brown rice and I have a complete protein bread! Can't beat that! I love how making bread makes me feel like I am stepping back into time when life was a bit simpler. To add to my atmosphere of simplicity, I watched Pride and Prejudice. I felt like I was in that era, minus the television I was watching it on and all the electricity I was using! :) Hey, you do what you can!

After I got done making by bread, I started on, truly a mix of random ingredients, soup. I haven't been to the grocery store so I pretty much just threw what I had into a pot. I call it sweet potato and lentil soup! The end result was actually pretty good! My hubby loved it so that it really all that matters. So what I did was saute one yellow onion, one shallot, 3 cloves of garlic, and one sweet potato. To them I added some of Jane's crazy salt and an Italian herb mix. Then I added 4 cups of chicken broth and a bay leaf and let that simmer for a bit. After that I put it in the food processor and blended it till it was a bit thicker in consistency. Oh, before I did that I took out the bay leaf of course! Then for the protein part, I added a mix of cooked lentils and millet and Voila, a meal!

All in all a very relaxing and much needed day off!

1 comment: