Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sacramento Trip

Jordan and I just got back from Sacramento, CA where we were visiting my dad. We went for a quick three day weekend and had a wonderful time. The beginning of our trip, however, did not start out so wonderful. Our flight out of Denver was supposed to leave at 8:00 PM but was delayed and hour and a half due to the hail and thunderstorms in Denver. They actually weren't going on while we were there but took place earlier and threw tons of flights off so they were playing catch up. So an hour and a half wasn't that bad but then we got delayed again. When it was all said and done we ended up leaving Denver sometime after 11:00 PM. We didn't get to my dad's house until sometime after 2:00 AM and when we did we had a quick tour and went straight to sleep.

The next day we just took it easy and slept in a bit. That afternoon we went to the wonderful Farmers Market/flee market.



They had so much yummy produce and then a whole bunch of random things, most of it being a whole bunch of crap to be quite honest. Anyway, I loved all the fruits and veggies they had for cheap! That's the great thing about California; the weather is so nice that just about anything grows well there. After that we went to the K-Love headquarters and got to see where my dad works and the rest of the station. That night my dad made some yummy enchiladas and homemade strawberry ice cream which is one of my favs! We went for a walk around his community which was a lot of fun too. On our walk my dad showed us this tree that he always hears an owl. He then proceeded to make owl noises so that the creature could respond back. He succeeded. He then told us how he wishes he could see him one of these days which spurred us all on and we began to hunt for this owl in the tree. Low and behold it was my amazing hubby that found the great owl! It was really cool. He was at the top of the tree and all you could see was his silhouette before he quickly flew off. We finished our walk by taking some lovely pictures on the golf course that goes around my dad's community.

The sunset was beautiful!


I was in a funny mood and had a strong desire to take a dip picture!


Then it was back to the house for homemade ice cream and Avatar. I finally saw this movie. My brother-in-law Ethan has been telling me how much I need to see so I did. I thought the graphics were definitely amazing but that was pretty much it for me. I thought the story was just ok and pretty typical. Anyways, a fun movie!


The second day was by far the best day in my opinion. We woke up early in the morning and headed west for Napa Valley! Oh, my, that place is gorgeous! We went to the Robert Mondavi Winery and had a tour and wine tasting. So much fun and highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Napa area.



At the entry to the winery.





The pretty vineyards.


Our tour took us in the vineyards and we got to look at the grapes when they are just getting started.


They had a couple of these gazebos by the vineyards. So pretty.


All the barrels they make the wine in.


They were huge!


Wine that was in the first stage of the aging process.


Getting ready for our tasting!


It was so much fun to see how they make the wine and learnd all about the process. The wine tasting wasn't bad either! :)

After our tour and tasting we went to DEAN AND DELUCA!!>

You can see my excitement in this picture! I have always wanted to go to one of these and was not disappointed. It was fantastic!

This was the dessert I got from there called "Cupa, Cupa". It's kind of like a tiramisu in a chocolate cup, amazing!


So, I got my first kick of it and now have an itching desire to go to the main one in NY, but that's another trip. After I said my goodbyes to Dean and Deluca we went to this great restaurant called Tra Vigne. The food was amazing!

Outside the restaurant.


Hall winery. We were pretty proud!


Then we headed to a little coastal town near San Francisco called Sausalito. This was such a great little town! We walked around for a while and took in the beautiful bay scenery.



I love all the sail boats in CA.


There was this guy in Sausalito who makes a living displaying the different ways he can balance these rocks. It was pretty interesting.


Pic with San Francisco in the background. I love that city!


Great town to visit if you’re in the Bay area. Then we headed back to dad's, had dinner, more wine, and relaxed for the rest of the night.

Our last day there we went to Old Town Sacramento and had lunch at this restaurant called Fat City. The restaurant has been around for a long time and is so much fun. Then we headed off to the airport and made our way back home. It was a great weekend to finally see where my dad works and lives. Now back its to the old bump and grind.

4 comments:

  1. Kels... what a fun trip!! I loved reading about all your adventures :) And I love that you were drinking "Hall" wine! We should all make a trip back to the Hall Winery someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kels... I loved reading about your trip and all your adventures :) And I love that you were drinking "Hall" wine! We should all make a trip back there and visit the Hall Winery someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, ok so I didn't think my first comment posted... so you got it twice! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kels! I loved your post! Your pictures were beautiful but you looked so pretty in them all. You are gorgeous. I am glad you had a fun trip to Cali and next time I think you should bring us along!

    ReplyDelete